Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Slit eyes a.k.a. Sepet

I've just seen Sepet on Sunday at home on VCD. Din plan to but housemate was watching so I sat down and watched (when the 2nd part started) and found myself really drawn to the story. I liked it so much that I watched the 1st half after that since I missed it earlier. Hehe...

It's definitely refreshing to know that there's a good Malaysian film out there which actually potrays the reality of our culture, and the mish mesh of the different races and cultures were very natural - being able to understand Mandarin, Hokkien (added note: My housemate Sock Hui and I were commenting that Keong's Hokkien sounded like our Kuching Hokkien and I've just found out that we were right - he (Linus Chung) IS from Kuching! Hehehe....trivia for you la) & Cantonese, apart from English and Malay, I really enjoyed the way the characters communicated with each other. I especially liked how Orked would use Cantonese phrases when she talked to Jason.

The main cast all did an excellent job and for once, the scenes did not seem fake or forced - Harith Iskandar and Ida Nerina were hilarious as Orked's parents and Ng Choo Seong was endearing as Jason even though he claimed Yasmin Ahmad gave him no choice but to act since she's his boss because her other 9 choices turned her down (from
www.sepet.com.my). I thought he was cute! :) Hehehe...

The love that developed between Jason and Orked and the obstacles they faced will strike a chord with anyone who has experience with cross-cultural relationships or marriages (or know someone who has) - although I did think the ending was very cacat :P

Yasmin Ahmad was not afraid to show the real prejudices and preconceived notions that we have towards one another in this country - particularly among the different races and I applaud her for that. I have so many good things to say about this movie that even I am surprised at myself. But I should let you watch it la hor?

Anyway, go watch it if you have not and tell me whether you like it.

PS: Never thought I'd write a movie review on my blog, but - Oh well, never say never...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i've heard a lot about this movie too. u think your housemate can pinjam me the vcd/dvd??

1:23 PM  
Blogger emmyjemmy said...

I think can, if not mistaken it belongs to Adeline. Lemme ask her. Hehe...

3:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi my - what a pleasant surprise to learn about this sepet film :) i heard about linus (my ex classmate)involving in the filming industry about a year ago and now to find out that he is acting as keong in the movie! i must watch the movie! only if i could get my hands to it :)

8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home